Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Reincarnation or just a truck fascination?

Sometimes my three-year-old mentions his “old mother” in conversation. It completely creeps me out – I mean, isn’t that the opening scene of a horror flick?

When pressed, he even gives away details, like “she dresses like a worker-guy,” and “she drives a truck.” And he never changes these details, they’re always the same.

I’m not sure if I believe in reincarnation or not. I think there’s some kind of energy in the universe that recycles itself somehow, sure. But does my preschooler actually remember the woman who mothered him in a former life? I just don’t know.

In the car the other day, out of the blue, he blurts out, “My old mother is going to be gone for a while. She’s working on a road that’s really far away.” And then it’s back to his typical little boy chatterings – begging for candy, complaining about his brother, asking to go swimming.

Another time, shortly after he woke from a nap, he told me that when his aunt was a little girl, he was her doctor. He has no way of knowing that his aunt, in fact, had a serious illness and spent much of her childhood in hospitals and clinics. I just replied, “Really? That’s interesting.”

It could be completely random. Or it could be him projecting his wants and dreams into these little stories. After all, he is fascinated with trucks and “worker-guys,” and maybe he’s just projecting that image of coolness onto a mother-figure.

But it does certainly make me wonder.

2 comments:

  1. Brooke, you might want to check out Carol Bowman's book, "Children's Past Lives." She explores in detail how some children, usually between the ages of 2-6yrs, recall information from other lifetimes, and how as a parent you can talk to them about if (if you wish).

    She had a similar experience of her own children talking about very unusual situations and people, and that led her to do a great deal of research on the subject, so you're not alone if indeed your son is recalling other incarnations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's really interesting. I'll definitely check it out - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.