Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Scaring the elderly at the post office

I'm sure I was a sight to behold at the post office last week. I was lugging the much bundled-up baby and a package full of goodies for a friend who's due in March. Our preschooler was holding onto my coat, since I didn't have any free hands.

The charmer that he is, my tot was chatting up the elderly woman behind us in line, and she was getting a real kick out of him. When we were almost to the front of the line, my son who was now bored with the conversation he was having with the lady, annouces, "I gotta go potty."

Now, I know that he's been potty trained for 6+ months and has had just a few accidents. If he needs to hold it until we get to the kid-friendly potty at the library (our next stop), he can do so without a problem.

But the lady didn't know that. In fact, I think she was worried he might go tinkle right there, all over her sensible shoes.

"Go! Go!" she yells to me, shooing me with her hands.

I look at my son. "Can you hold it a little bit?"

"Sure," he shrugs.

Ignoring us, she yells to the postal worker at the counter, "EXCUSE ME? Where's your bathroom? This little boy needs to use the potty!"

The worker tells us they don't have a public restroom.

Panic crosses the older woman's face. "Maybe you should take him accross the street to the grocery store?" When I furrow my brow, she says. "I'll hold your place in line!"

At this point, even my son is sensing the lady's unfounded anxiety.

"It's OK," he says to her, very sweetly. Then he points down. "You see, my penis has a stopper in it."

In response to her look of confusion, he apparently felt the need to expand on his explantion. "You see, it's like a tiny little belt. I can just pull it a little tighter, and it holds in the pee."

I have no idea where he comes up with this stuff! We've never heard him mention this stopper-thing before, but his creativity never ceases to impress me.

That's about when the postal worker called us up to the counter. And at that point, I think we did our share of scaring old ladies for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.