Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tension in the grocery line

We’re in the grocery store. Naptime is closing in, and the baby’s hungry and starting to fuss. We get in line and I’m frantically throwing food onto the conveyer belt, hoping to get outta there before a full-blown meltdown ensues.

Baby lets out a howl, and I know we’re in trouble. I whip out the credit card and start zipping up coats all around.

Several heads turn to stare. Someone sighs loudly. Eye-daggers and evil looks are hitting us from all sides.


Can’t they see we’re just trying to get outta here? Families with small kids need to buy groceries, too!

But instead of begging for candy or refusing to put on his gloves or throwing an all-out tantrum, my toddler comes to the rescue. Without even knowing it, he helps diffuse the situation. He tugs on my hand and says – extremely loudly – “Mom, my baby brother wants some boobie. He needs BOOB, Mom!”


A couple people actually giggle, and we make it out, unscathed.

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite stories ever. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Glad you liked it - much better in the retelling than actually living it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. Sara (Pirk)

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.