Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Breaking into song

My inner-teenager scoffs at the concept of breaking into song during everyday life. That’s the stuff of Bollywood or cheesy middle school musicals. Right?

Well, actually, no not in my experience. It’s actually happened to me a few times, completely unprompted.

Once was in college when a roommate threw herself onto our dingy, disgusting couch and began sobbing her eyes out. No doubt, more drama with the boyfriend-of-the-week. Those of us who had been amicably playing rummy looked at each other, unsure of what to do next.

And then it happened. My dear friend J. began, “You gotta know when to hold ‘em. Know when to fold ‘em.”

Naturally I joined in, “Know when to walk away. Know when to run.”

And then everyone joined in, including some friends who wandered in from the kitchen.

“You never count your money, when you’re sittin’ at the table. They’ll be time enough for countin’ when the dealin’s done.”

Yeah. We burst into song. And in the end, our distraught little roommate was laugh-crying. You know, that wonderful combination of laughing-after-crying.

When I later asked J., “Why in the world did you pick ‘The Gambler’?”

He shrugged, “I only know the actual words to a few songs. And that’s one of 'em.”

Now, as a parent of a toddler, breaking into song happens a little more routinely in my life. (Stay tuned for tomorrow's story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.