Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Friday, March 20, 2009

The modern mockingbird and heat-and-eat pattycake

Every night before bed, I sit down with Babycakes on Big Brother's bed, and we all sing some nighttime songs. I always end with my favorite: "Hush little baby, don't say a word, mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird..."

However, the past few nights, this song has been bothering our preschooler. He's a lyric person, just like yours truly (thus, I dislike "Rock-a-bye Baby" and "Ring Around the Rosie"). Whereas Daddy is perfectly content to listen to the music without really paying attention to the words.

So I noticed that instead of singing, "If that mockingbird don't sing, mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring," my big kid was singing, "mama's going to the store to get a new one."

Last night, he was actually getting frustrated as I sang about getting a bird, a ring, a cart and yoke. Finally he yelled, "Mom! Just take them back to the store if they don't work! You can get a new one there!"

It's like the time I was eavesdropping on him, sweetly playing Patty Cake with his baby brother. Only his version went, "Roll it, pat it, mark it with a 'B.' Stick it in the microwave..."

1 comment:

  1. What a practical child you have. And astute. And amusing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.