Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Outsmarted (again) by a preschooler

The trouble with time-outs is that Mo is acutely aware that for some mischief, the time-out is totally worth it. I've mentioned how he uses time-out as a stalling technique at bedtime and clean-up time.

But it gets better.

I got hosed!

Mo was recently "watering my plants" or basically, just playing with the hose in the backyard. He knows that he's not supposed to soak me (or anyone else) and the punishment is immediate time-out.

He turned quickly and sprayed me across the legs.

I told him, "OK, that's it. I'm turning off the water."

He knows that's our deal. But the little wheels were turning.

He flicked the hose at me again.

"Time out!" I declared, striding toward the spigot.

Only the spigot was halfway across the backyard from where I was standing. And Mo's no dummy. He knew he was already in time-out.

So the little stinker chased me with the hose the whole way back, as I dashed to the spigot and shut off the water as fast as I could. That kid completely soaked me! I was drenched.

Our neighbor later told my husband it was one of the funniest things he's ever seen.

Sweet revenge
Today I found a long-forgotten square of Ghirardelli chocolate. Mo begged me for it, and I struck another deal: We'll split it.

I explained that when you split something, it's only fair if one person does the splitting and the other picks their half.

He wanted to split the square, but he broke off one piece much smaller than the other.

He looked up at me. Paused for a second. Then popped both pieces in his mouth!

"Hey!" I yelled. "Spit that out in the sink right now!"

He chewed faster.

"If you don't spit that out, you're going in time-out!"

He turned on his heel, and ran right to the time-out spot, chewing all the while.

And he's right. Time-out is totally worth it if it means soaking your mom with a hose and getting the whole square of chocolate to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.