Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

"Following through" kinda sucks

Any parenting book, pediatrician or nosy neighbor will tell you that when disciplining kids, "You gotta follow through!"

Last night we were heading to one of our favorite Italian restaurants for fresh bread with dipping oil, homemade calzones and pasta. My mouth was already watering.

The boys were bickering all day.

On the car ride to dinner, it got worse and worse. Poke, poke, poke. Scream, scream, scream. WAAHHHH!! MOM! LET GO! GIVE IT BACK! HE'S HITTING ME!

After multiple warnings and scoldings, Dad got tough. He said, "If you two don't stop it right now, I'm turning this car around and we're going home."

Two seconds later, Mo snatched away one of Curly's toys, refused to give it back --- and yes, Dad turned the car around.

They scream. They cried. I wanted to, too, knowing I now had another night of cooking and cleaning ahead of me - but I played it tough. You gotta following through, right?

We ended up eating some salty Bagel Bites and limp Creamette pasta. I mixed spices with olive oil and went to cut up some bread for dipping - but it was spotted with mold.

To top it off, Mo decided to use his Popsicle to "paint" the outside of our sliding glass door - rubbing it over the tons of grime and dirt for reasons I'll never understand. So he lost his dessert too.

Sigh. I hate being the bad guy.

2 comments:

  1. I hate it when I have to follow through if it means not doing something fun... but I guess backing down would just make things worse, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Quadmama, at least that's what "they" tell me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.