Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Kindergarten and the pursuit of power

Mo started kindergarten on Wednesday. I got a bit misty-eyed, but he did great. In fact, he learned two lessons about power on the very first day.

1. When we were walking home, after the chattering about his new friends and how he had to be the "caboose" in line, Mo's face drew into a broad smile. He looked at me, almost challenging me, and declared defiantly: "Mom, at lunchtime I ate my dessert first!"

I remember having that same feeling in first grade. Knowing I could eat the fruit roll-up before my sandwich, and no one was stopping me. Ah, that first taste of freedom.

2. After crossing a busy street on the way to school, Mo became uncharacteristically quiet. Finally, he announced, "Mom, I know what I want to be when I grow up: A crossing guard!"

I remember how adoringly he watched the woman who stopped traffic for us.

"Mom? Do you think they get to bring home that little stop sign?" he asked. He was enthralled with the idea of being able to stop traffic, anytime, anywhere. Talk about power.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.