Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A ruckus at the grocery store

We got yelled at today at the grocery store.



I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. I was so embarrassed and upset when we left the store that I was nearly shaking.



You see, Curly likes to make a high-pitched screaming sound lately. I can usually stop it with a word or a look or a distraction. But today at the grocery store - after a long day at work and school - Mo kept provoking his little bro. It made things really tough.



As we walked down the freezer section, Curly began screaming. He wouldn't stop with my usual tricks - and I realized that Mo was holding his hand and blowing raspberries into his palm. As I was trying to quiet my baby down - by separating the boys, threatening time out and taking away a treat all at once - is when I heard it.



"Stop it! Someone shut that kid up!"



The voice was behind me and I was too preoccupied doing exactly that - trying to shut the kid up - that I never got a look at who yelled at us.



Perhaps, someday, whoever it was, will need to buy a gallon of milk and loaf of bread while toting a child or grandchild with a healthy set of lungs.

4 comments:

  1. I had that happen to me at Target. We were way in the back corner of the store trying to calm our little guy down and this guy walked by and said, "Shut that kid up." I was in such shock that I couldn't really react. I honestly wanted to punch him.

    Wouldn't it be cool if those people who say stuff like that, even when you are obviously trying to fix the situation, were in charge of a screaming child for one hour? We'd see how well they'd do then at "Shutting a kid up."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. And I love your idea for a remedy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever said it obviously has no clue. Parenting is hard. REALLY hard. Especially in public, with jerks who think it's okay to butt in when they should be minding their own danged business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad. Don't take it personally. The person was probably in a bad mood or hung over.

    One thing I noticed about a child's scream, however, is that it can silence the largest crowd of adults. I think it's instinctual. We're hardwired to respond to it. We're designed to have a stressful reaction to it. All animals respond to the sounds of their young. Those without much baby time have the same reaction, but can't tell the "type" of noise the child it making, like parents can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.