Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Another lesson from Curly

Add this to the pile of lessons I've learned from the Booger Boys.

Curly woke up in the middle of the night Friday with yucky poops. Soon he was throwing up all over. I was running around like a crazy person trying to clean up the carpet, bedding, Curly and myself.

I found myself mumbling, "It's OK, it's OK" over and over again. But then I realized that it wasn't Curly who needed reassuring - it was me. He was perfectly fine. He didn't cry at all. He didn't get upset, though I know he was feeling terrible.

He simply told me, "Mom, my tummy hurts."

Later in the bathroom, when I was stripping him down, he looked and me and explained, "Mom, I'm sticky."

After bathing him, the little sweetheart was shaking like a leaf. But no crying, no complaining, he just asked if he could wear his purple Care Bear socks.

An hour later, he was warmed up but still couldn't sleep. I was exhausted and upset, but Curly simply asked me if we could go downstairs and watch Care Bears.

So at 1 in the morning, we turned on a Care Bear movie and watched the entire thing through. When it was over, he toddled over and turned it off. "OK, it's bedtime now," he told me.

So I took him back up to bed and he slept.

He's continued to be sick all weekend - but he laughs and plays and never complains. I wish I could say the same for myself.

3 comments:

  1. Kids are so unpredictable when they're sick... one minute they're in agony, the next they're fine. I hope Curly's on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... poor things! Of course it's hard to be mom to a sick child, but I think I understand why this is especially hard. Hard to know how serious a tummy bug is when the tummy has HD. But, you know our kids... tough as nails. The detail on purple care bear socks made me smile.

    Hope he's on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Tough is nails" is right, Kel. I wish I was half as tough as my 2-year-old. And - woo hoo - he does seem to be on the mend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.