Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Monday, November 29, 2010

What makes having a sick kid even harder?

Answer: The fights with your insurance carrier bound to follow.

Sorry, I'm not into ranting and bellyaching, but I just got a phone call that made me throw my hands in the air and yell, "Not again!"

Mo got hurt recently and needed staples in his head. We were out of town and are now dealing with out-of-network insurance charges and an unfamiliar provider.

What was the phone call? The provider telling me they'd charged our credit card twice for the ER bill. They're working to fix it.

OK, fine, I understand one mistake. But this provider also sent me a notice last week saying my son was uninsured, so they've notified groups that will help us get him insurance or possibly government assistance. Well, hmmm, you'd think they'd know he's insured considering they've already billed and received payment from our insurance! So now I'm getting calls from solicitors, who love to ring during Curly's nap time, offering to help us find medical insurance for Mo.

When I was complaining to Dad about this particular provider, he reminded me that our own wasn't any better. We recalled our experiences so far:
  • Two bills for routine visits ($260 and $420) just this year, which are, in fact, covered in full by our plan.
  • The time we took Curly in for surgery, and they wouldn't start his IV or NG tube because they said the procedure wasn't pre-approved by our insurance. Turned out to be a miscommunication.
  • When Curly was still in the NICU, we got a bill for $80,000. The next day we got one for $11,000. And they kept coming. When I stormed the hospital billing office, they told me it was because Curly didn't have an insurance card yet. He was four-days-old at the time of his first surgery. Once his card was issued, they recognized his insurance and nearly all was covered.

We're lucky. We have very good insurance. But dealing with all the mistakes and poor service is the last thing a parent should have to worry about when they have a sick child.

OK. Rant over.

2 comments:

  1. Insurance in America is pretty messed up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to keep this short. Health insurance is one of my biggest headaches. If it's not the insurance company giving me problems, then it's a specific provider who at least once a year messes up our account. Hubby started a new job a year ago... this is the first time since my girls were born that I actually LIKE our insurance company because I haven't had any problems (knock on wood).

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.