Update October 2015

We've been living overseas since about the time this blog petered out. There are lots of funny Mo-and-Curly-abroad stories to share -- I'm exploring the best way to do that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Curly's trick for swallowing icky medicine

Part of Curly's ongoing recovery is four daily doses of Flagyl, one of the grossest meds around. Seriously, even the pharmacist told me, "It doesn't get much worse than Flagyl."

I tasted it, and immediately I felt like I was going to throw up.

So, needless to say, it's been a struggle to get Curly to take it. We tried everything from mixing it with chocolate syrup and his favorite ice cream, to begging and cajoling him, to forcing it down his throat with a syringe -- and getting it spit right back in our faces.

But I few days ago, I stumbled on the answer. The key to getting a 3-year-old to take "icky medicine."

1. Put the meds in a small medicine cup.
2. Mix in a squirt of food coloring -- we prefer blue.
3. Cut a straw to about 2 inches.
4. Let the little one sip it up, in between drinks of lemonade.

I know it's strange, but Curly's now taken 16 doses this way. No more crying, struggling or tantrums.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'll have to keep this in mind. You are a genius to think of something so out of the ordinary.

    Agree @Flagyl. Disgusting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kel. When you try enough things, you're bound to found something that works!

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment and become my new best friend! I love to hear what readers have to say.